Standing in the Shadows: The last novel in the number one bestselling Alan Banks crime series

£9.9
FREE Shipping

Standing in the Shadows: The last novel in the number one bestselling Alan Banks crime series

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Robinson approaches his characters with immense compassion.”— New York Times Book Review on Many Rivers to Cross

I want to thank the publisher "William Morrow" for the opportunity to read this book and any thoughts or opinions expressed are unbiased and mine alone! The 28th and the last in series, not because the series is getting stale, but because this amazing author has passed. In fact, many of my favored authors seem to be moving on to, well who knows, but they are leaving a hole in my heart and my future reading plans. After writing so many books, I felt connected to Robinson, as I have to his character Alan Banks.Most still had a few leaves left clinging to their branches and twigs. Banks thought they seemed creepy in the louring twilight and half expected one of them to start moving like the Ents in Lord of the Rings . This is Robinson’s 28th book in the DCI Banks series. I’ve read every one with great enjoyment and was devastated upon hearing of the author’s death late last year. It is to believe that this will be the last book in the series, making it a bitter sweet read. The twenty-eighth installment of the #1 bestselling Inspector Banks series by "the grand master of the genre" ( Literary Review), Peter Robinson. Flash forward to 2019. During an archeological dig in a field destined to become a shopping mall, the skeleton of a man is uncovered. It is clear, however, that his burial is much more recent than Roman times. It is also clear he was murdered. DCI Banks and his team are called in to investigate. He was born in Castleford, West Yorkshire, to Clifford Robinson, a rent collector, and Miriam (nee Jarvis), a cleaner, and grew up in Armley, a working-class suburb of Leeds (also home to fellow writers Alan Bennett and Barbara Taylor Bradford). It is not too much of a stretch to assume that aspects of Inspector Banks’s adolescence in the 1960s, as described in Close to Home (2003), the 14th novel in the series, mirrored Robinson’s own.

One of the finest police procedural writers around... [ Standing in the Shadows] is as narratively rich and surprising as Robinson's best work. Knowing it's his last makes the reading bittersweet."— New York Times Book ReviewStanding in the Shadows is a worthy addition to the Banks canon... Robinson was an author at the top of his game, and Banks a detective at the top of his. Both will be sorely missed by their readers." — The Guardian Eventually, the two story lines converge. The solution to the mystery, while not completely unexpected, still managed to surprise me in many of its details. This is a fast-paced police procedural that held my interest to the end. O]ne of the finest police procedural writers around... [ Standing in the Shadows] is as narratively rich and surprising as Robinson's best work' NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW Complicated, unexpected and startling, the story is all that, but Robinson brings all the disparate parts together so cleverly that the result on finishing the novel is a satisfaction that all readers want at the end of a good book * On-Magazine *

If Gillespie didn’t exactly retire under a cloud, there were rumors clinging to him from early in his career when he was privy to an undercover operation where police infiltrated radical student organizations. Armed with this knowledge, Banks senses there may be a connection between the moribund inquiry into Alice Poole’s death, and the body found in Gillespie’s field. Not Dark Yet by Peter Robinson sees the author and his creation, Supt Alan Banks on top form in the 27th book in the series * Peterborough Telegraph * O]ne of the finest police procedural writers around... [Standing in the Shadows] is as narratively rich and surprising as Robinson's best work' NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW Robinson pulls the reader in with deft characterizations, powerfully understated action scenes, and strong locales . . . A s trong addition to the Banks series that suggests tantalizing possibilities for the next installment * Kirkus *The late Peter Robinson penned another brilliant entry into the Inspector Banks series in his latest, and last, book in the series. As ever, Peter Robinson has constructed a gripping, complex mystery . . . his legion of fans will be delighted * The Sunday Times Crime Club * Engrossing... Those who enjoy methodical police procedurals that build to a logical, satisfying conclusion will be amply rewarded.”— Publishers Weekly on Careless Love I want to thank NetGalley and William Morrow for forwarding to me a copy of this wonderful book for me to read, enjoy and review. The opinions expressed in this review are solely my own.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop