Around the World in 80 Birds

Around the World in 80 Birds

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

Hotjar sets this cookie to know whether a user is included in the data sampling defined by the site's daily session limit. Flits and swoops into birds you may have heard of around the world – quetzals, kiwis, flamingos, oh my! We get a nice overview of what the birds look like, their way of life and brief anecdotes of what they are known for (like them being national emblems and why, if they are featured in important literary works, legends or myths etc). I learned new things about some birds I already knew, and a lot about new birds with which I was not previously familiar.

Na Een reis om de wereld in 80 planten en Een reis om de wereld in 80 bomen is er nu een boek over vogels. That’s not to say the book itself isn’t good - it’s fantastic and has a ton of good information on in unique bird species. I don't dub myself a bird enthusiast but after reading this I've gained a greater appreciation for the diversity and the lore behind each bird. Charting the world by discussing eighty of the most distinctive birds found regionally -- or, in some cases, in extremely small, protected areas -- Mike Unwin discusses the scientific backgrounds, colorful histories and current realities of these remarkable avian creatures.Actually, there's a lot of cool and interesting details on 80 different impactful bird species written in an engaging way that really worth the gander.

The editors have done a good job adding non-metric equivalents for length and weight to the descriptions in the original.All are unique and all have their niche that - in many cases - deforestation and chemical pollution is destroying. Their common prey and predators, and other images and symbols most commonly associated with each bird -- such as the distinctive man-made houses built for purple martins or the green swarm cloud of budgerigars in the wild -- are also portrayed, sometimes in insets, sometimes in two-page spreads. For while Mike Unwin does in fact (and fortunately) show the conservation status of and the threats facing the bird species he has chosen for Around the World in 80 Birds, Unwin's criticism and his condemnation of what has caused and is causing avian conservation issues (habitat destruction, large scale hunting and poaching, climate change etc. The art in this book - by Arturo Miyake - is something else and, to me, one of the biggest highlights.

I’ve been really lucky in marriage many ways and one is that I’ve inherited a set of “grandparents in law” who’ve shared so much love and wisdom. I’d already loved ‘Around the World in 80 Trees’ in this loose series from Laurence King Publishing and was really looking forward to this one, so much I popped into work on my holiday to pick it up as soon as I found. Oh and finally, I also think that Around the World in 80 Birds should be including distribution maps for each of the included species, for one, simply for general knowledge, of course, and for two because some of the birds being showcased in Around the World in 80 Birds actually do not only appear in the countries and areas about which Unwin is writing (and it would thus be nice if Around the World in 80 Birds would for example visually show how the northern mockingbird also ranges into Canada and that nightingales are common in much of Europe and not just in France, and well, with migratory birds, showing their wintering grounds as well as where they breed via maps is not just interesting and informative but is also rather important regarding possible conservation issues).I’d already loved ‘Around the World in 80 Trees’ in this loose series from Laurence King Publishing and was really looking forward to this one, so much I popped into work on my holiday to pick it up as soon as I found out it was there. About most birds I've never heard about but it fascinated me pretty much that I ended up reading 'Wikipedia articles' about many of them. Van de meeste van de vogelsoorten heb ik nog nooit gehoord: rode rotshaan, vlaggendrongo, dwergmierpitta,… Andere ken ik wel maar in een lokale versie: Indische gans, groene gaai, grote renkoekoek,… Ik leer zo veel bij.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop